Day 36: June 5, 2018
The best water I ever drank was from a stream on this mountain
that led to this waterfall.
That water changed my life. I became a water elitist. Even though I used to swear up and down, along with everyone else, that Memphis has the best water — Memphis’s water pales in comparison to that real live mountain stream water.
The closest thing I get to that now is bottled spring water, which is good since it doesn’t taste like chlorinated tap water. I buy it by the gallons so I can use it for cooking, for tea/coffee/smoothies, and whatnot….
(Anyway, stay focused, Brit.)
The purpose of this post is to talk about the top 7 Reasons to Drink a Gallon of Water a Day.
And for those of us working with the Self-Care Framework, we know that once you get your Inner self together, it’ll be like a plant nurturing itself from the inside.
That means not only physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and aesthetically, but also all your Inter-relationships – Financial, Social, Career/ Education, Home, and Practical – will benefit.
So here we go. Throughout the day, do a self-care check. Ask yourself these questions:
1. Are you irritable? One of the most noticeable symptoms of dehydration is listlessness, or irritability. Granted, some things just really get under your skin, and it’s okay to be annoyed. But when every little thing is bothering you, like, deep down to your core, then it’s time to ask yourself, “How much water have I had to drink?”
At this point, you might wanna have a calming cup of tea (which does contribute to your fluid intake) or a nice cool glass of ice water. So when it seems like you need to chill, chill.
2. Are you moody? Another on the list of dehydration symptoms. Anxiety and mood disorders are exacerbated in a dehydrated environment. When your cells are DRY and CRISPY, your body can’t efficiently detox or break down your foods, WHICH means you probably aren’t getting enough of the essential amino-acid tryptophan, WHICH is the precursor to serotonin. One study showed that “total plasma tryptophan was significantly lower in 12 depressed patients than in 12 normal controls.” I’m not saying that drinking water will cure your depressed, but it’ll damn sure help.
3. Is your skin clear? Staying properly hydrated flushes toxins from your organs, and as you know, your skin is your body’s largest organ. The water you drink has to go through all the internal organs before it reaches your skin, so you need to make sure you drink enough. If you have a poor diet or acne caused by hormonal issues, then I can’t promise drinking water is the only thing that will “cure” it. There are many factors at play, but drinking water can create a domino effect that leads to clearer glowing skin.
4. Are you craving sweets and/or forever hungry? Drinking water helps regulate your appetite. Drinking water before a meal keeps u from overeating. Sometimes the “I’m hungry” trigger is actually “I’m thirsty,” but the signals get so convoluted that you automatically think you need to eat. Especially if you weigh more and your BMI is higher. You need more agua, babe. Also, when you’re dehydrated, it’s hard for the body to produce and release glycogen — hence, the sweet/sugar cravings. You can either trust me, or read this and the studies that go along with it.
5. Are my thoughts clear? If you find it hard to focus on the task at hand, or even if it’s hard to find clarity enough to figure out what to focus on, then I suggest drinking 2 cups of water. Then set a timer to drink another cup (or 2) every 2 hours. Lack of focus is another noticeable symptom of dehydration, so be intentional about drinking water to begin the toxin-flushing process. You’re gonna be pissing like a bull on a flat rock, but it helps.
6. Am I extra tired? Another major annoying symptom of dehydration – fatigue. The wake-up-in-the-morning-after-a-full-night-of-sleep-but-I’m-still-tired tired. The it’s-only-11-
am-and-I-had-2-cups-of-coffee-but-I-still-need-a-nap tired. This type of fatigue kills your motivation to do pretty much anything. What works for me: 1 – Wake up and, before my feet hit the ground, drink 2 cups of room temperature Spring water. 2 – Before I go to sleep, drink my last 2 cups of room temp Spring water. This makes sure I wake up on time (sometimes running to the bathroom) and wake up with enough energy that doesn’t have me craving caffeine.
7. Do I plan on
gettin’ lit drinkin’ like a fish partaking in adult libations tonight? If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail. When I know that I’m gonna be drinking, I make sure to get my entire gallon of water in for the day before I start drinking anything else. When I do, then I never have a hangover. Say it again for the people in the back: I never have a hangover. There are plenty of products out there that claim to filter out sulfides to prevent a hangover, or claim to provide a hangover cure the next morning. The only thing that consistently works for me is making sure I’m well hydrated before alcohol, and having at least a glass of water with every other drink. I hate waking up with a hangover, like, I feel like my life is over and there will never be anymore sunshine or happiness. So, drink water, Party Animal.
There you have it – 7 reasons why drinking a gallon of water isn’t just trendy hype, but can do you some good in more areas of your life than one.
What can you do now?
- Download the Self-Care Framework: Checklist and Planner here for FREE.
- You can then get on the waitlist for the Organize My Life Masterclass. Whats that, Brit? Well, its a 3-month Intensive that helps you develop and execute a Self-Care Practice that works for you. It’s in an online course format, without adding any extra work. It’s about increasing Self-Awareness and prioritizing your Self-Care. It’s about breaking toxic and counterproductive habits, and transforming them into healthy ones (hello, alchemy). It’s about getting yourself into formation, into alignment with who you are. We can get so lost, being wrapped up in taking care of somebody (read: everybody) else, that we forget to take care of ourselves, as well as how to take care of ourselves. So get on the Waitlist to be notified when Registration opens and the course begins.
If you are ready to change your life for the better, if you’re tired of finding yourself struggling in the same situations – be they financial or emotional – over and over again, then the Organize My Life Masterclass is for you.
Wherever you are in the world reading this, I hope u have a fantastic morning, afternoon, evening, and night.